Monday, January 27, 2014

To Blog or Not To Blog...

I have been away from my blog for almost nine months. This isn't the first time I have been away from it, and I know that since I don't have a lot of readers, it wouldn't really matter if I continued to stay away from it. The thing is, sometimes I miss blogging.
Back when I first started blogging, I posted pictures of my family and kids, and thought nothing of it. Then I heard horror stories about people's photos getting stolen off their blogs and so I took down all the posts with pictures of my kids in them. Then that made me feel like my blog was impersonal, so I started posting pics of them again, but there are a lot of missing posts from before (like all of 2009). For a while I tried blogging on a private blog just for myself, but that felt pretty useless also, so I came back here and started up again. I started blogging my thoughts and not just family events and such about a year ago. I was really enjoying it. Then, I got pregnant.
I was thrilled to be pregnant, but I was puking my guts out for the first few months and after that I was just plain TIRED. Then my kids went back to school after the summer and it was just me and my three year old son at home, and we were both bored. I didn't feel like writing and I was still tired. Now I have a newborn, and the three year old and I am still tired. I'm not sure my brain can come up with coherent thoughts. I don't know what kind of a blog I want to have. Not a Mommy blog, but not just writing either. I feel like I don't do anything creative anymore, unless you count cutting hot dogs to look like little octopuses to get my three year old to eat them as creative (and really it isn't since it is just copying someone else's idea).
One part of me says I should just let the blog go. It has been almost a year after all, and no one is missing it. No one except for me. I miss blogging...but I'm not sure I know how to be a blogger anymore.

And just so I don't seem too impersonal...here is a current family picture!

4 comments:

Nancy Face said...

You're wrong about one thing - somebody has been missing your blog, and it's me! I was so happy to see a new post from you, my friend!

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!

Lily said...

Hi! I share similar feelings regarding having the drive to continue blogging with little to no audience. It sounds like even though you are having these thoughts that you are still passionate about blogging! Please continue to blog! You don't need to have a blog about X, Y, Z. It's a free world :-) Blog about your children, food, jeopardy! Whatever you feel like writing about! I will be checking in and looking to see your past work!

Lily - your fellow blogger

Katie said...

I just very recently started blogging again. After my son left for his mission I decided to post a picture of something every day for a year. I was going to do it for just a year, but by looking at my stats I could see my son looked at my blog every.single.P-day to see what was going on at home. I couldn't just stop, so I kept going until he got home that September. That was in 2013 and I just started blogging again semi-regularly this month. I needed the 8 months to recouperate. Like you, I've tried to decide what kind of blog to have and in the end decided to just continue with a "Mommy blog." Reading back over it, it is a really good journal, so I'm going to keep it how it is. I check yours now and then, so I hope you keep writing. You can look at mine at www.goldenbeehive.blogspot.com if you want to.

Dragons Among Us said...

I just found you, through a profile search of whoever liked "The Dark Is Rising Sequence." I am a mother of four BOYS, and I so understand the exhaustion, the lack of inspiration, and not knowing how to go on except in mother phase! I hope you continue writing, and I hope you don't mind me reading. It is so refreshing to know there's someone who gets it. (And I love, love, LOVE all your book selections!)