Sunday, January 20, 2013

Zest

I have a four year old daughter. On the blog I refer to her as Miss B. She has an enthusiasm for life that I have never seen in anyone else. If there is music on she is dancing (actually she is often dancing even when there isn't music on-I think she has her own internal soundtrack). She sings, often making up her own sweet little songs. She tells me multiple times a day that I am the best Mommy ever and how much she loves me. When we take pictures of her she almost always has a cheesy, open mouthed grin, and when the mood is right, jazz hands to accompany it. Miss B has zest for living.  
If you look up zest there are a few different definitions. They are:
1: a piece of the peel of a citrus fruit (as an orange or lemon) used as flavoring.
2: an enjoyably exciting quality.
3: keen enjoyment. 
Miss B certainly fits the second and third definitions. I often find myself smiling as she dances around me at Costco or sings her made up little songs to me. There are also moments when I find her energy draining and all I want is for her to hold still. Then I stop to think about it.  Who am I to ask her to stop enjoying herself? Life will do that to her soon enough.
Watching her has made me realize that Miss B has something I need to find again. When I think of zest for me, I think more in terms of that first definition. In cooking zest is just a bit of citrus peel finely shredded and added to a recipe to add depth and flavor. I don't need to dance around everywhere I go, or to sing instead of talking. For me that is not practical. However, a dance around my kitchen while I am cooking dinner, singing at the top of my lungs in the car, and just taking a few moments to look around in wonder at my own life are all things I can use a little more of. Just a little zest can make all the difference in the flavor of life. Thanks Miss B for being such a good example to me.

5 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Such a darling girl!

Rachelle said...

I think you make a great point about letting her enjoy her life. I have a tendency to want my kids to stop moving and hold still too. But I think you are right, life will do that to them in time. I need to sit back and enjoy their enjoyment more! Thanks for sharing that insight! :)

Yvonne said...

Oh, I LOVE THIS. We all need to have a zest for living. And I love that line "Just a little zest can make all the difference in the flavor of life." FABULOUS WORDS.

CB said...

She is the cutest little thing and I can just picture her dancing around with her pink hat on and cute smile! What a lucky lucky mom you are to have such a happy happy girl!

Carrot Jello said...

I have a daughter like that. She always makes be want to be a better person.